From The Gazette

Vaudreuil-Dorion

Carbon monoxide gas forces evacuation of Multisports Centre in Vaudreuil

The MultiSports Centre in Vaudreuil-Dorion was evacuated Tuesday morning after two men were affected from inhaling carbon monoxide.

Patrick Jasmin, a spokesperson for the Coopérative des techniciens ambulanciers de la Montérégie, said the ambulance service received a call about 9 a.m. with a report of symptoms of gas inhalation.

He said two men aged 44 and 31, were affected severely enough to warrant being transported to the Hôpital du Suroit in Valleyfield, but there may have been other people affected by the gas. Carbon monoxide is an odourless gas, and victims often die of inhalation without being aware of any symptoms. Jasmin said symptoms of poisoning could include headaches and nausea.

A message on the centre’s Facebook site said it was closed for the morning due to a “small emergency.”

Isabelle Adam, a spokesperson for the centre, said the two people were working in the centre’s electrical room when the incident occurred. She said the decision to evacuate was a precautionary measure and there doesn’t appear to be any leak of carbon monoxide.

The centre was reopened about noon.

No Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>